Microdermabrasion is a very effective skin treatment and one of the most popular treatments that skin provides. It can help to renew your skin to give it a more youthful appearance, and if you opt for multiple treatment sessions then the benefits for your skin can be incredible. Microdermabrasion is a form of deep exfoliation which propels microcrystals across the skin to remove dead skin cells and improve the texture and smoothness of the skin, as well as promoting the production of fresh collagen and cells.
Layers of Skin
Your skin is composed of three layers: the hypodermis, dermis, and epidermis. The hypodermis, made of fat cells and connective tissues, is the deepest, thickest layer. The middle layer, or dermis, contains hair follicles and sweat glands. The top layer is called the epidermis. The outermost surface of the epidermis is made up of a layer of dead cells, called the stratum corneum, which protects the maturing cells underneath. Although they protect underlying tissue, these dead cells are subject to more damage than the deeper living cells. Many minor blemishes, sun damage, and small wrinkles are located in the stratum corneum.
How Microdermabrasion Works
During microdermabrasion treatment, your doctor will use a small, handheld device to rapidly blow tiny crystals against your skin. These crystals exfoliate the epidermis, removing the dead cells and exposing the living cells underneath. New cells will quickly grow in their place. However, these cells will be younger, healthier, and exhibit less flaws like discoloration and wrinkles.
Microdermabrasion is an effective treatment for a wide range of skin conditions. The treatment works for the face, hands and body. Microdermabrasion treatment can be used to treat;
- Fine lines and wrinkles (including the delicate areas around the eyes)
- Sun damaged, uneven and thickened skin
- Rough and coarse skin
- Pigmentation and age spots
- Dull, tired and dehydrated skin
- Enlarged and congested pores (blackheads and whiteheads)
- General scarring including surgical scars
- Stimulation of microcirculation
- Accumulation of excess toxins in the skin
- acne scars
- light stretch marks
Microdermabrasion is extremely effective yet requires no down time. In fact, you can typically go about your regular activities immediately after receiving treatment as long as you avoid excessive sun exposure and use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Treatment produces minor discomfort, which most patients describe as a mild tingling or stinging sensation. Following your treatment, you may experience some sensitivity and redness, which will fade quickly. Our staff will advise you on the best ways to promote healing and protect your skin. Our line of professional skin care products and moisturizers can keep your skin glowing, and can maximize the effects of your microdermabrasion.
Although it is less aggressive than other skin treatments, like laser resurfacing or chemical peels, microdermabrasion is an excellent option if you have normal, healthy skin and are simply looking to rejuvenate and soften your skin.
Benefits of Microdermabrasion [H2]
A microdermabrasion facial has many benefits, and you will be able to take advantage of all of these when you visit one of skin’s clinics.
- No Preparation Needed – Because it can be used directly on skin without any preparation, it is a very convenient treatment which you can enjoy whenever it suits your schedule
- Instant Results – As soon as you walk out of the clinic you will already be able to notice the difference in your skin. It is fast acting and you will not have to wait days before you see the difference
- Comfortable and Painless – Some skin treatments may lead to mild discomfort, but a microdermabrasion facial is completely painless so it is suitable for everyone
- Suitable for All Skin Types – One of the great things about microdermabrasion is that it can be used on any skin type so you know that it is suitable for you
- Improves Absorption of High-Tech Skincare Products – If you use high-tech products to make your skin look and feel better, a microdermabrasion facial allows these to be absorbed into the skin better so that you get more out of them
Long-Term Benefits of Multiple Microdermabrasion Treatments
Although even a single treatment of microdermabrasion will leave you noticing the difference immediately, for the best results you should consider multiple treatments. The benefits of ongoing treatment include:
- Clean Pores – You will not have to worry any more about clogged pores because ongoing microdermabrasion treatment will clean out pores to leave your skin smoother and healthier
- New Skin Cells – When a microdermabrasion facial becomes a regular treatment, your skin cells will be replaced with new, healthy ones which will make your skin look and feel better
- Smoother Skin – You will be able to enjoy much smoother skin which is free from blemishes and fine lines when you take advantage of multiple treatments
- Reduced Scarring – If you suffer from acne scarring then a regular microdermabrasion facial treatment can significantly help to reduce the appearance of scarring
Your skin will feel smooth and look radiant after only one treatment. For the best results, you may need to undergo several microdermabrasion sessions.